Friday, September 20, 2013

Day Five - Creativity Achieved!

Here is today's menu, as it happened:

For breakfast, I had a small bowl of Raisin Bran and a fried egg sandwich, on a Kaiser roll.

Lunch was an egg salad sandwich on a Kaiser roll, two blocks of Cheddar and three graham crackers. I didn't think about it until after breakfast, I had planned an egg and Kaiser for both breakfast and lunch. Not very creative, I admit, but wait until I get to dinner.

As I was puttering around the kitchen, preparing lunch, I saw how much cheese I have in my cheese container, going into the weekend, so that's the reason I splurged with two large chunks of Cheddar. I mentioned that to Irene, and she said, "You know, a whole pound of cheese is a lot for one person to eat in a week." I'm kind of surprised at that, but I see what she means.

Okay, dinner now. I had Irene thaw out two chicken thighs, and this evening, she deboned them. She took some of my Rustic bread and made a sort of stuffing, and microwaved the thighs and stuffing until they were done. Of course the bread soaked in the drippings from the chicken. Then she browned them under the broiler. With a side of mashed potato and a serving of succotash, it was delicious. **

The idea of deboning and putting stuffing in the thighs was something we had seen in a Julia Child/Jacque Pepin show on Hulu last year. In that program, they said that there is never enough stuffing from the cavity of a turkey (a feeling with which I heartily concur). They solved that by making more space for more stuffing by breaking off the legs and thighs, deboning them, filling them with stuffing, and wrapping them in foil, and roasting them with the rest of the turkey. It worked well when we tried it, and so I knew that deboning the thighs and cooking them with stuffing would be good.

Something different for our SNAP Challenge week. Something almost gourmet, since I got the idea from Julia Child.

** I only ate one of the thighs, leaving the other for Sunday afternoon. Usually on Sundays, we have something light when we get back home from church, and have our big meal later in the day. A chicken thigh and stuffing will be just right for Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment